Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Lovely Bad Things - "The Late Great Whatever" (2013)


Being in my 30's, it's always awesome when I put on a record from a young band, and it makes me feel 16 again.  I'm pretty sure that's what many people have said about The Lovely Bad Things.  This is a band that I found while browsing through Reverbnation.  Just a couple of month ago, I finally purchase some of their vinyl.  As much as I enjoyed the "New Ghost/Old Wave" ep, it's their first full length, "The Late Great Whatever...",  that I really enjoy.

"Hear or Anywhere" does get things going.  Hearing Laura's voice does take me to a happy place.  And "Fried Eyes" is a great follow-up.  I believe Camron does vocals along with Laura on this track.  "North Bend" has that 80's No Wave sound, which make me love this band even more.  I really admire the band's raw energy.  The whole garage rock production makes The Lovely Bad Things' sound feel so real.  Where other bands focus on a more on a more slick and polished production.  Not that it's a bad thing, but a lot of bands should really focus on making their songs have a heart.

"The Late Great Whatever..." is definitely a step up from "New Ghost/Old Wave".  For sure they found there own sound.  I like to think that if I hear a Lovely Bad Things tune, I know it's a Lovely Bad Things tune.  When Cam and Laura do vocals, they really stand out.  And I hope they continue that with the next record.  Of course I have to give props to the rhythm section.  I have to say that Brayden can pound those skins.  The guitar tone is just perfect, but I really love the song writing.  It makes me want to bounce on my bed while listening to this album on my headphones.  So if you want to feel young again, give "The Late Great Whatever..." a spin.  You'll totally become a fan of The Lovely Bad Things.  I rate this album"5 Hitlers Punched in the Face".  "Randall the Savage" alone makes me want to punch Hitler.




To purchase "The Late Great Whatever..."






No comments:

Post a Comment