Saturday, February 21, 2015

Girlflesh - "Almost Human" (2015)




I swear it seemed like it was yesterday, when "Nudes" came out.  An album that has been getting a lot of great feedback.  And of course brought attention to the one-lass juggernaut known as Girlflesh.  In January, Girlflesh's Roxxi Wallace released her 2nd full-length, "Almost Human".  Of course this was released on her birthday (Jan. 27), and it's pretty sweet that Ms. Wallace celebrated her birthday by sharing her art.

The first track, "I Want To Believe", starts off with Wallace singing through a reverb effect.  To me, those few first seconds does have a loneliness feel to it, before the beats start kicking in.  "Sad Birthday" is a song I wish I would hear on the radio.  The chorus is really catchy and does stick to me.  "I'm a Whore For the Fourth Reich" is definitely step forward to the Girlflesh sound.  A song that I know will be accepted at goth/industrial bars in L.A.  And I have to say I enjoy the Nazi-xploitaton- esque song title.  I wouldn't mind hearing more of this on the next Girlflesh album.

From the lyrics to the music, "Almost Human" does have a darker vibe than "Nudes".  Which is what I really wanted Girlflesh to go for, since there's more places to explore on that side.  And according to Girlflesh's bandcamp page, "Almost Human" is a "conceptual album telling a story of confusion, isolation and existential dread", which is a good way to describe this album.  Especially when hearing "I Want To Believe". That's a perfect track to start off this album.  For sure, Roxxi's production skills have improved.  And only 21 yrs old, the young Aussie still has plenty of time to grow even bigger.  But right now, I really enjoy where Roxxie is taking Girlflesh.  And I wonder, by looking at the first two album covers, if on the third album, will the torso be fully clothed.  Sort of a closure to this era of Girlflesh.  But anyways, if you enjoyed "Nudes", then you're really gonna enjoy "Almost Human".  Roxxie Wallace earns herself another "5 Hitlers Punched in the Face".



You can purchase "Almost Human" at the link below:


Highly recommended if you're into dark electronic music.






No comments:

Post a Comment