Monday, September 29, 2014

Hellbeard - "DARK/LIGHT E.P." (2014)



Hellbeard are back.  And what a fuck'n e.p. they put out.  Ever since I heard "Black Snail" on youtube, I've been waiting on some new Hellbeard.  Their first album, "Scarecrow" was a solid album.  And with Dark/Light, they take their sound to a whole other level.

Dark/Light features 3 track, which are the best and heaviest songs that Hellbeard have played.  Once the first track, "Maiden of Mercy", starts to play, you knew that this is going to be a totally different Hellbeard.  The one thing that I like about this song is during the middle, they play a really nice doom riff, which then goes to something more ambient.  "Light" is probably my favorite.  When I hear this song, there's a "Time & Grace" feel to it.  And of course I loved those tribal-esque drum beats during the end of the track.  And then we have "River's End" to finish up.  Has a nice 90's hardcore metal riff and then a sweet guitar solo.

The production was well done.  The vocals have gotten very intense from the last album.  Great guitar work and of course the rhythm section sound great.  I would have loved to hear a studio version of "Black Snail",  But after hearing the new e.p., I really don't know how it will fit.  For sure this is a whole new Hellbeard.  And this new Hellbeard makes me want to punch Hitler even harder.  A awesome e.p. if you enjoy post-metal, sludge, and doom.


To purchase Dark/Light, go to https://hellbeard.bandcamp.com/album/dark-light

No comments:

Post a Comment