Monday, February 18, 2013

Kyng "Trampled Sun" (2011)




For a long time I've been following Eddie Veliz and Tony Castaneda musical journey.  And I have to say it looked like a bumpy ride.  In Steel Remains, they're vocalist left.  They continued as a four-piece, but changed their name to Ounce of Self so they won't get confused with another band called Still Remains.  And then I haven't heard from them again.
Years later, I saw in my Myspace bulletin, that Eddie and Tony started a new band called Kyng.  They were playing at the Blue Cafe in Huntington Beach, so I went to go check it out.  I was a little disappointed because I wanted it to be heavy just like Steel Remains/Ounce of Self.  But I couldn't deny that the songs were really rocking.  So I had to accept that Eddie and Tony  have moved on to a new direction.  After a few more shows, I really opened up to what they were doing with Kyng.  And I'm really glad they've hit it off.  It was a long journey.  I remember going to their shows and seeing how their wasn't much of a crowd.  It was disappointing to see, but Kyng kept riding.  Then their music was being played on Liquid Metal, thanks to Jose Mangin.  Since then, Kyng has been going on tour and supporting some very well known-establish acts.  And around mid-late 2011, they put out their debut album, Trampled Sun.
Trampled Sun is indeed one rock'n album. "Falling Down" really kicks things off. And this album continues to kick arse all the way through the epic "The Beauty of the End of Shoreline, Pts. 1 & 2".  "Porcelain" is a favorite of mines.  It just has a Alice In Chains vibe.  And that is why I'm a huge fan of Kyng.  They really bridge the gap between classic rock and 90's rock/metal.  The Pantera influence is still heard with some Soundgarden and 70's rock.  To me these elements is what makes Kyng really stand out from more mainstream rock and metal.  And with Pepe Clarke, they add some heavy power which compliments Eddie and Tony's playing.  Really looking forward to the new album.  And hope they continue to reign.





No comments:

Post a Comment