Friday, October 16, 2015

Eye See Home Promotions: Volume 2



I heard about Eye See Home Promotions when I read that one of the blokes from Sinicle, was gonna do some work for them, here in LA.  But I didn't hear some of the bands they represent until I pre-ordered my Eye See Home t-shirt, which the proceeds went to making this compilation.  I took a listen to Volume 1 on their bandcamp page.  They had some great bands on their clientele.  Others were okay.  The rest, not really my fancy.  Wasn't to big on the Spring Meltdown comp.  So I pretty much had a good idea of what I might expect from Volume 2.  Some I'll enjoy, others I'll find decent, and the rest, not really care for.  Here at Code 415, I really try to promote the positive in underground/indie music.  There are band in here that I love and want to give them a push here.  Which is why I want to do a review for this compilation.
I give lots of props to Jill Colbert and what she wants to accomplish with her promotion company.  The Reno,NV native does seem to have a love for her local scene.  And also supportive to rock and metal.  When I read "Support indie metal", I'm pretty sure she's referring to "indie"as a philosophy, not the sound.  Of course all the bands in Jill's clientele are very DIY and active.  Which I can really admire that.  But what made indie rock what it is, was the lo-fi recordings.  Not because it's a nice "gimmick", but because that type of recording has a "don't give a fuck" attitude.  Of course back in the days, small local bands couldn't afford a professional studio, so they had to settle for something more low budget.  The plan wasn't to become huge rock stars, it was to get their music heard and not have big label execs tell them what to play.  And that's why I have respect for indie rock's sound and idea.  It's nice to have a good, well polished album.  But with Pro Tools, a lot of metal bands are over polishing their albums, that it's starting to sound very generic or watered down.  And not saying that lo-fi is the way to go.  Yes, I love the raw energy it brings, but if you over do it, it will sound a bit pretentious.  I like things to be a bit even out.
Anyhoo, some of the bands that I dig, from this compilation, I feel like they really really stand out.  The first one to catch my attention was The Approach and The Execution, with "Kings Among Runaways".  For some reason they reminded me of Amorphis.  Not that they sound like them, but there's almost that feel with the melodic vocals and guttural vocals (which by the way, sounded really sick).  Next was Witchburn with "Der Hexhammer".  This band has a really nice Doom/Occult Rock sound.  Their vocalist has some nice pipes.  Reminds me of Mlny of Royal Thunder and Mona Muliski of High Fighter.  If you enjoy those two band and Lucifer/The Oath, then you'll enjoy Witchburn.  Then we got Sludgehammer with "Organ Harvester".  You would think they play Doom/Sludge with a name like that.  But they're more of a modern death metal band.  The guttural vocals are really sick.  I really don't hear many death metal bands having a chorus.  But the one for this track is really well done.  Chaser Eight's "I Want To Die".  Holy shit!  Someone call the producers for the James Bond films, and have this band for the next installment.  "I Want To Die" does sounds like something from a 007 intro.  The vocals are just seductive and brings memories of some of the 90's female fronted bands.  Another female-fronted band that has a nice 90's sound is Bonewagon.  Their song "Pick Up My Pieces" is a perfect follow up to the last track.  "The City Feeds On You" by Unseelie was pretty good.  They reminded me a bit of another band that Eye See Home represents, From Light Rose the Angel.  If you love the latter, then you'll dig the former.  And then we got Piston Ready, who would be among my Top 3 on this compilation.  On a recent interview, Jill of Eye See Home Promotions said they have a "rockabilly" sound.  I may need to check out their other songs, because "Breakdown" has more of a vintage/psychedelic sound mixed with a 80's Sunset Strip vibe.  Another band that you should check out.
I highly recommend check out this comp, if you're interested in checking out some new bands.  Eye See Home seem to have bands for almost everyone's taste.  From the 16 tracks, I was able to enjoy 7, which isn't that bad.  The problem I have with the others is that I really couldn't get into it.  Some of the extreme bands on this comp, had that Meshuggah-esque, metalcore/deathcore sound, which to me has started to become very generic.  I can understand the slick production.  They're trying to get their band to a wider audience.  But with a lot of these type of extreme metal bands, it does become generic or watered down.  One of the reasons why Black Metal kicked Death Metal's arse in the mid-90's.  Then there were a couple of bands who were doing that female melodic vocals and male growls.  None of them really stood out for me.  It seems to fit more for the teenagers today who shop at Hot Topic.  And some of the female fronted bands almost have that Hayley Williams sound and radio rock style.  I love me some Paramore, but we only need one Hayley.  But if that's more of your fancy, then you'll enjoy Volume 2.  But for the ones that I loved, they get the stamp of approval, the "Five Hitlers Punched in the Face"

You can pre-order Eye See Home Promotions Volume 2 on their bandcamp page.  Sales from the comp goes to the band.

https://eyeseehomepromo.bandcamp.com/album/eye-see-home-promotions-volume-2

And if you like to show support to Eye See Home, they also have a t-shirt.




And also check out some of my favorites.



THE APPROACH AND THE EXECUTION





WITCHBURN





SLUDGEHAMMER






CHASER EIGHT





BONEWAGON





UNSEELIE





PISTON READY







No comments:

Post a Comment