Friday, September 4, 2015

Ghost - "Meliora" (2015)




My, my, Ghost has really grown.  It seemed like it was yesterday, when I heard about a mysterious Swedish band, who singer looked like Satanic Pope.  And is accompanied by 4 blokes in black hooded robes.  As silly as their gimmick may be to others, to me, Ghost can back it up with their catchy song writing.  Which is why I think a lot of people feel in love the anti papal and his nameless ghouls.  When Ghost were to release 2013's, Infestissumam, fans from the underground were looking forward to that album.  Now that Ghost have become huge, the whole World is looking forward to their next release, Meliora.
I like how Meliora starts off with a old sci-fi/horror synth, before the band begins rocking it with "Spirit".  "From The Pinnacle To The Pit" has a sweet bass intro.  I also love that psychedelic guitar tone.  Very different from what we heard on the last two Ghost Albums  "Cirice", of course everyone loves that song.  From the opening chord to the first verse, this song already has you hooked.  After listening to this song, you know that Ghost have outdone themselves again. "Can you see that you're lost with out me", goddamn, I always have that line stuck in my head.  The Papal never sounded this great.  But the song that I hope will be their next single is "Majesty".  The guitar riff on that song just kicks arse.  "Mummy Dust", "Devil Church" and "Deus In Absentia" has that 70's pop rock feel, which sounds really nice.  And "Absolution" brings out that early Mercyful Fate-meets-Blue Oyster Cult sound, which is considered the band's signature sound.   
By each album, I find myself loving this band even more and more.  And the fact that they focus more on writing really catchy songs, does help a lot.  When I heard their first single, "Cirice", I pretty much knew that Meliora was gonna be another hit with the fans.  Really glad that this album exceeded my expectations, and that the band didn't feel a lot of pressure to write their follow-up to Infestissumam.  As long as Ghost doesn't rush to finish their next album, then I can see this band having a great longevity.  If you enjoyed the last album, then you're gonna dig Meliora.  So gathering around and rejoice the music, that is Ghost.  


Rating: 5 Hitlers Punched in the Face



No comments:

Post a Comment