Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Stupid Flanders - "Flanders' Dozen" (2015)




How can you see a band called Stupid Flanders and not want to click on that play button.  The band's name did catch my fancy when I was looking for some ska bands on Reverbnation.  And when I clicked on the track "My Way", I knew I had to follow this band.  And when they did their crowdfunding campaign for their debut album, I had to pitch in.  And when the album came out, I knew that I was gonna get one hell of a record.

If you were a fan of 90's ska/punk, then you know what to expect on "Flanders' Dozen".  These blokes from Fullerton, CA really brought their "A" game when recording their debut album.  As soon as the horns come in on "Story", you can't help but start bouncing around.  "One Touch" is another jam that you can dance around to.  Have to give them huge kudos for their mash-up of Nirvana and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles called "Smells Like TMNT".  And of course their cover of Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" who have fond memories of the late 90's.  The album version of "My Way" sounded much better than the one I heard on Reverbnation.  And "Donuts" is such a fun closer, you are most likely gonna hit the repeat button.

Everyone sounded really tight on "Flanders' Dozen".  The brass section sounded really great.  You can hear the drums pounding really well.  The bass and guitars keep things rolling (nice solo on "Infectious" and "Mistakes").  Jeremy's vocals has that feel of an underdog, who's down on his luck, and you just want to root for him to rise above.  For sure, "Flanders' Dozen" is a album you have to check out if you're a fan of 90's ska/punk.  And if you haven't seen them live, I highly recommend checking them out.  It's guaranteed to be a great time.

You can purchase "Flanders' Dozen" here: https://stupidflanders.bandcamp.com/album/flanders-dozen

Rating: 5 Hitlers Punched in the Face



No comments:

Post a Comment