Thursday, January 15, 2015

Muscle and Marrow - "The Human Cry" (2014)


While going through my facebook timeline, I noticed that BillyGoat from Doomed & Stoned posted a link to a band called Muscle and Marrow.  I believe he described it as   "Like Hydra Head employed Rose Kemp to write for Chelsea Wolfe.  The results are rather wonderful."  Of course being a fan of Chelsea Wolfe and bands from Portland, Oregon, I clicked on the link and was just amazed.  It was very dark and moody and just a good atmosphere surrounding it..  This was something that I can get behind, so I purchased the vinyl at their bandcamp page.

"Surround The Fire" is probably my favorite track.  I believe this song describes what Muscle and Marrow are all about.  And if you heard my "Top 5 Song of 2014" in my podcast, then you know why this song was #1.  "Childhood" is one heavy tune.  And after hearing "Spirit", I just had to push that play button again.

Now a lot of people have compared Kira Clark to Chelsea Wolfe.  But I have to admit that I hear more PJ Harvey in her voice.  Then again, I have to say that Kira does have a sound of her own.  And with McGraw's skin pounding, these two make Muscle and Marrow the unique band that they are.  If you're looking for something new, then I highly recommend grabbing "The Human Cry".  It's definitely a great experience.  This crushing album deserves a good "5 Hitler Punched in the Face" rating.  Not sure if the vinyl are still available, but you can download the album at https://muscleandmarrow.bandcamp.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment