Thursday, November 13, 2014

Swartwoud - Hexental (2014)



When you put on "Hexental", you might think it's just another one-man band, creating black noise in his bedroom.  But once you go deeper into the tracks,  it's definitely a journey into misanthropy.  The best way I can describe  Swartwoud's latest effort is misery, agony, nihilistic, and very anti-sound.  An appreciation to the lo-fi production is needed, as "Hexental" isn't meant to be a glamorous record.

"Morvandus" has a great doom riff going on, that I think people who love a heavy minimalism sound will dig it.  The same can go with "Consoling a Crying Water Giant", with it's doomsday chugs.  "The Calm" is probably my favorite and the evilest track on "Hexental".  It's a track that does lo-fi black metal, proud.  I love how"Only Deamons Play this HAARP" starts off almost a bit Neurois-ish, before going into full black metal assault.  And speaking of Neurosis, Swartwoud goes in tribal mode with "Exploding Heads".  "Crush the Cockroach" is also a well written track.  Pretty much Lord Orgun's best vocal performance.

Seeing that this is the sixth release by Swartwoud, I guess I have a lot to catch up on.  I did listen to Sex Daimones (Six Demo[n]s) and a couple of tracks from Lokval on Reverbnation.  Really looking forward to listening to the other releases.  I give Lord Orgun lots of credit for doing something different, vocal-wise.  To me, that what gives Swartwoud their own sound.  I highly recommend checking out "Hexental" if you want to get your lo-fi fix.  I rate this "5 Hitlers punched inthe face".

You can download "Hexental" for free at http://www.reverbnation.com/swartwoud/album/85084-hexental


No comments:

Post a Comment